Monday 5 March 2012

Sensory Processing Disorder...

Why didn’t anyone tell me about this earlier???


It just goes to show that there is always more to learn and uncover when you are dealing with kids.  All my three boys may have this, Alex can self regulate which explains a lot, he has this need to be active, he used to swing all the time, but this past year he runs and slides from wall to wall before school and after school.  We never really understood why he has this need to do it, but we understand his brain functions differently, and it helps him unwind.  Turns out he is self regulating. 

The other two I believe have some issues, Cyrus is overly anxious about things, and gets easily overwhelmed, while Preston who also gets easily overwhelmed, fidgets, and is impossible to get him to be still.  In fact we were told that it would be impossible for him to sit still, but no one ever mentioned this kind of disorder.  I get it is new, and a movement of awareness is starting to happen, but I wish I knew about it.  My kids could have benefited from this years ago.

Hopefully, it isn’t too late.  I was speaking with a friend last night who is familiar with my kids and she mention that I should look into it, and see about getting my kids assessed.    The place she works with only help children before they go into school.  I have a 10 year and two teens, and the only other place near me isn’t taking clients at this time.  It is the local library for my research then. 

 Is it wrong for me to get a little upset, when I spend thousands of dollars on assessments for their learning disablilities, and no one mentioned this?

No comments:

Post a Comment