Monday 5 September 2011

Ukraine Change Up...

I kow that the Ukraine Government has a habit of changing things a lot when it comes to dealing with international adoption.  I am not complaining by any means (though it often does throw a wretch into adopting parents plans) in fact I am please that the government has taken such a strong interest in the welfare of their children.

I am a little slow on the up take on their latest change as out agency had informed me a couple of weeks ago that the Ukraine Governemt has issued a new change in which children over the age of 5 are only available for international adoption.  This is a moot point for us as we are hoping to adopt a girl 6-9 years old. 

I have read up a lot of RAD.  Reactive Attachment Disorder, which is a main concern when adopting orphans.  I believe that there is a need for people to look to adopting older children.  It bothers me when I tell people that we are adopting an older child and all they see are the negatitives.  As one relative put it recently, "that is a lot of money to put out for a bag load of problems."

I get their point, better than they do.  They want me to adopt a baby, or toddler.  Babies and toddlers make me exetremely uncomfortable, they are so fragile and I am not very good at figuring out their needs, though I do try to meet them.  I know I have had three babies of my own, but the idea of adopting an older child that I can relate too on a more personal level does appeal to me.

I've heard it before, and I'll say again.  Adoption isn't for the faint of heart.  Dale and I know that this is right for us, and we are willing to learn and adapt to meet our child's needs.  It bothers me when people can't see beyond the negativity of adopting. To me it is no different that giving birth to a special needs child, there are no guarantees: things go wrong, and things go right. You get the card you are dealt and deal with it the best that you can.

So to all those who thing we're making a big mistake, I say God Bless You! 

No comments:

Post a Comment