Friday 11 March 2011

The Readings...


Instead of giving a long and oh so boring run down of my book list I put the ones I thought were worth buying in "My Favourites" with a little brief clip as to why I like them.   
The absolute must buy of the books is Power Spending, and I say this because it is a money saving book for the everyday person/family.  It has some new takes on how to stretch your dollar further as well as what you can do to bring in a bit more money (other than daycare).  I’ll get into this later.
Another book in my "you must absolutely buy this book" list is the Complete Book of International Adoption, it covers everything from questions to ask yourself/partner, the agencies,  travel tips, documents, (granted it refers to American adoptions rather than Canadians) recommending readings for children as well as adults.   There is a reason why COMPLETE is in the title. 
The other two I listed I’m going to say they are must reads rather than must buys, but please if you are expecting an adopted child into your family and especially your extended family please read “CROSS CULTURAL ADOPTION: how to answer questions from family, friends and strangers
There are faux pas in the world of adoption that non adopted people are not aware of.  The word adoption is thrown around so much with newspapers labelling famous people’s offspring as “adopted” what people don’t see is how the word impacts the child they are referring to.  This book is a preventive measure to avoid hurting (however unintentionally) an already hurting adopted child.
But be forewarned...introducing any child as adopted such as “This is Mary and her adopted daughter Suzy,” can be hurtful.  And if anyone introduces my daughters as adopted I will be forced to introduce your child as “vaginally delivered.
So please leave off the adoption tag, it’s no one business but our own.
And as for “Parenting your Older Adopted Child,” I think the title speaks for itself.  Older Children do have issues and this book covers most of them.  I have purchased it for myself, but I think if you can get it at your local library it is worth checking out a few times.

There are more readings I have done and will do,
But other books I’ve read so far are:
Parenting Your Adoptive Child ~ Practical tips for dealing with issues dealing with adoption.  I'd put it in "my buy list" if I were adopting a younger child.
Twenty Things Adoptive Children Wish Their Adoptive Parents Knew ~ I think it is a worthwhile read but if you are expecting humour from this book, you will be disappointed.   (I kind of wish there was a book Titled “Twenty things adoptive Parents wish their Adoptive Children Knew)
Labour of Love: Canadians speak about adoption.”  Interviews with families who’ve adopted.

No comments:

Post a Comment